Sunday 2 May 2010

Notes on the Mitchell-McKeown house, London, 2010

I am writing this on the understanding that I have not seen the actual house, as reported in The Guardian on May 1st, 2010, but only the piece in the Weekend magazine. I am also fulfilling the second part of the name of this blog.

Frankly, the current trend in domestic architecture for a clean lines modernist approach, as it is being repeated ad nauseam, is becoming sterile and boring. What Patrick Mitchell and Claire McKeown, two young London based architects, have done in converting the shell of a semi-derelict terraced house into a contemporary home is very interesting indeed, the rescuing of back end spaces from its long standing servant role into part of the living area of the house is admirable. That window seat at the back is gorgeous.

However, it is those clean sheets of glass, stainless steel everywhere and recessed lights that I am starting to look at them with a slightly bored expression on my face. I cannot depict any of my cats climbing onto that roof and exposing their bottoms and all to anybody below. The interiors in the photographs look stunning... I would like to see them in about a year time. What I object most of all is the clean sheet of glass in the roof. Ghastly.

To see photographs of the house click the link below:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/may/01/crack-house-modern-house

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on issues relating to cinema or the specific post theme. All comments are moderated. All other comments will be rejected, particularly those marketing other sites or blogs.

ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT RELATE TO CINEMA OR SPECIFIC POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND REPORTED AS SPAM.